U.S. Passports and Genealogy
The Probate Court of Putnam County is a United States Passport Acceptance Agency. We have passport forms and information available.
You can obtain information and forms online as well at www.travel.state.gov the website of the United States Department of the State. To apply for a passport you will need to bring one (1) passport photograph, identification, and a certified copy of your birth certificate to the Probate Court of Putnam County. The fee is $110.00 to the U.S. Department of the State and a $35.00 fee to the Acceptance Agent.
The Department of State offers, in addition to the Passport Book, a Passport Card. At $30.00 the Passport Card is less expensive than the Passport Book which costs $110.00 . The Passport Card is limited to re-entry into the United States at land borders and sea ports of entry when traveling from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The Passport Card may not be used for air travel out of the United States.
Routine Service for receiving a Passport Book or Card is six to eight weeks. Both the Passport Book and Card application can be expedited for an additional fee of $60.00. Expedited service is within three weeks.
Fees for minors are different:
Age 0-15 years. Passport book fee is $80.00 (check or money order made payable to U.S. Dept. of State) plus $35.00 execution fee to the Probate Court. A passport card is $15.00 (check or money order made payable to U.S. Dept. of State) as well as $35.00 execution fee to the Probate Court. Both parents as well as the minor must appear.
Age 16+. Fees are the same as adults.
Remember to apply for a Passport Book or Card you need to bring with you:
- A valid government issued photo identification
- The completed application (DS-11)
- 1 photo (photo must meet the guide as shown on the application)(no glasses in the photos)
- Certified copy of birth certificate (will be returned by the Department of the State)
If you already have a U.S. Passport you may be able to apply using the Form DS-82 which you can mail directly and avoid paying the acceptance agent fee. You can renew with the DS-82 and save $35.00 if you can answer yes to the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card with this application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card was issued.
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card less than 15 years ago.
- My most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card for which I am renewing has not been lost, stolen, mutilated, or damaged.
- I use the same name as on my recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card OR I have had my name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect my name change.
Probate Courts in Georgia are one of the most important sites for genealogy resources. Among the resources on site in the Probate Court of Putnam County are:
- Estate records dating from 1808 forward
- Court records of proceedings from 1808 forward
- Marriage records from 1808
- Birth certificates from 1866
- Death certificates from 1919
- Cemetery compilations of county cemeteries
Keep in mind that there are a limited number of birth certificates and death certificates on file for early years. Also access to all records is subject to the confidentiality provisions of Georgia law.
You can also visit the Georgia Archives at: https://www.georgiaarchives.org/